About Trainee Placements
Our counselling service is based on an integrative approach to counselling which includes the transpersonal.
We have up to 50 counsellors at Help. Each counsellor sees 2 to 6 clients a week in scheduled blocks: morning, afternoon or evening. The office staff deal with scheduling issues and we do our best to ensure counsellors have clients scheduled for each week on a regular basis.
Note: Help is not able to accommodate the recording of sessions for training purposes.
To be considered for a placement at Help, counsellors must demonstrate the following key requirements, experience, qualities and skills:
- Be enrolled on a UKCP and/or BACP approved postgraduate level counselling training
- Be working towards, or hold, UKCP and/or BACP accreditation
- At least 75–100 hours 1-to-1 supervised counselling experience or comparable client experience gained through work/life
- DBS disclosure or willingness to obtain one with Help
- Proof of individual professional indemnity insurance coverage
- Be in ongoing psychotherapy with a qualified therapist throughout the duration of your placement
- Demonstrate an ability to work within the procedures and policies of the organisation as set out in the Counsellors’ Welcome Pack – which you should receive during your induction – and the placement contract for trainee counsellors
- Provide two satisfactory references (one of which should be your current supervisor)
- Adhere to BACP/UKCP guidance for counsellors in training on ethical practice
- Be in the final years of a UKCP and/or BACP approved postgraduate level counselling training
- More than 100 hours 1-to-1 counselling experience
- Student membership of BACP/UKCP.
How to apply for a placement at Help:
If you are interested in becoming a Help trainee counsellor, follow these steps:
- Review and see if you meet the essential and desirable criteria listed above
- Look at our Help Trainee Counsellor Contract and see if you feel that Help is the right place for you.
- Send an email to [email protected] to express your interest, along with a brief CV listing your counselling and other professional experience. In a cover letter, please state the number of hours of supervised 1-1 counselling you have completed, the course you are studying and the name of your training centre. It is also helpful if you can indicate when you might be available to see clients during the week.
- Wait for our Clinical Director to contact you with further steps.
Weekly group supervision provided
If you are absent for more than 6 weeks of sessions in a year outside of Help Counselling’s closure time (2-week summer, 2 weeks Christmas, 1-week Easter, bank holidays), you will need to pay a £10 room rental fee per session missed.